That's right the weather has turned... Finally. I'm sure you have washed off the furniture, swept the patio and tidied up whatever outside area you have, whether it be a terrace, a small deck or a rolling pasture. It's time to go - al fresco.
Of course, we are all anxious to throw garden parties, BBQ's and the like after enduring a long, long winter. And California, please spare me the "oh, we have that all year round" remark. We know just how special you are. The rest of the country suffers through changes. Which is why we are outdoor party ready. But you don't need to orchestrate a shindig in order to delight in the summer's offering. Taking in an evening breeze while savoring a meal doesn't need to equate to a big ordeal. A simple dinner will do just fine so you can bask in the longer days, the extended light and the brisk air of a summer's eve.
If you don't want the alcohol:
- Cranberry juice, sparkling water and lemon wedge, or even add some frozen berries
- Watermelon juice, sparkling water, basil leaves
- Sparkling Water with Lemon & Lime Slices
The idea is to enjoy something refreshing. So, go ahead and shake up a cool drink of your favorite flavors.
- Summer Tart , simple puff pastry topped with farm fresh vegetables of the season
- Large salad, it can be as simple as lettuces lightly tossed with fresh lemon juice and oil. Or a nectarine salad to reinforce that summer feel
- Roasted salmon or grilled shrimp
- Yogurt with honey and nuts
Main Dish ideas
Keep it simple and roast fish on the grill.
You can even have dessert without a fuss. Some Greek yogurt, nuts with a drizzle of honey is the just the right amount of sweet to finish off a meal. The idea is to get outside. Grab whatever food you have and put it on a platter, pop open a beverage and breathe in the fresh air. And the sheer joy of dining al fresco.